Artistic Aerobatics

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 14:06:38 AKST 2004

Eric,
Unless we are judging and have to watch the flights (or at least should watch
the flights), we often don't look at the other pattern flying much. At least
that's been my experience in nearly twenty five years of competitive pattern
flying.

It seems about the only time we carefully observe or even scrutinize a flight
when we are NOT sitting in the JC, is when the fellow just above us in the
standings is flying
 or when a name flier is flying. But even then, we seldom actually observe a
complete flight

Is Pattern boring to watch
? Yeah, probably, to the uninitiated observer it probably is. If anyone of
the Pattern people performed a perfect Cuban say, the observer could just as
soon yawn. I doubt the observer would fall asleep if a plane was coming down to
touch the rudder under full control, making all that racket, at the far edge of
the runway. Lets be brutally blunt about danger appealing to many.

Are "they" having more fun? Sometimes I think they do, especially when we are
having a problem with that alky burning, glow plug blowing, bearing chewing
cantakerous bunch of metal parts. We get upset when our trim doesn't hold. They
just fly or hover or whatever. We get right down anal about noise reduction
and distance out and weight and 2x2 meters and "they" don't!!!

I did the IMAC thing for a short while but came back. The plane flew well
enough even though it was a 10 lb overweight ARF(kinda reminded me of me
actually). It was just too damned big and heavy and a real pain to haul around. Not my
idea of "FUN"

BUT, I still love Pattern and all its self induced variables. That's my
bottom line. It's irrational to feel this way but I just do. I guess it appeals to
my desire for geometric precision and to the discipline it takes to strive for
perfection.

IMHO

regards

Matt K