Duralite voltage tester

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 22 19:55:53 AKST 2004

Xavier Mouraux wrote:

> Hello Duralite users,
>
> What tester do you use to check the batteries at the field between
> flights ? Were is it available ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Xavier

My personal theory is that nothing is more useful than a charger that
displays input amp-hours, with the i4c constant voltage display in the
plane a second, and voltage tester third.

The voltage tester won't tell you if anything is binding or unusual in
the radio system.  It only tells you that, ASSUMING all is well with the
control system (which is a good assumption in all but the plane's final
flight....), you can get in another flight.  The i4c constant voltage
display won't tell you if your battery can handle another flight.  A
charger that displays amp-hours on a charge and also displays amp-hours
on a discharge (so you know how many amp-hours your battery is really
capable of before dropping below a safe voltage) will give the most
useful information about the condition of your radio system and how many
flights it is good for.

The charger won't tell you that something is drastically wrong and you
are going to crash the next flight (either due to a servo not working,
or a servo drawing way too much power to get through a full flight) -
only the i4c constant voltage display will do that.  Personally, I feel
the odds of this situation happening and me not noticing in my standard
surface movement check before every takeoff are slim, and not worth the
~$50 for the display.  I don't use a voltage tester (and hey, if you
really want to see the voltage to affirm it can handle another flight,
the charger specified will show it to you at ANY amp draw).
# discussion-request at nsrca.org