DZ160s-and others-opinions-opinions

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Wed Jan 21 06:13:24 AKST 2004

Here is opinion #56.4

This is for the newer guys as I know for sure that some that have been
around are firmly entrenched in their pattern behaviour....

Kudos to anyone who is sponsored. Who is gonna argue with free stuff. Rest
assured that obtaining that engine or that radio is not going to make you
better- If you have a "decent" radio and engine already.  I really wonder
why the MFGs sponsor at all. Let me hear from the people who went out and
bought a piece of equipment simply because they saw a sponsored pilot used
it.  I really know why the MFGs sponsor, because even though no one will
probably admit to it, sponsorship works to a point.

The list of decent engines and radios is pretty good, there are several
good choices and most of them do not require anywhere near $1000. The new
guys should ask around and get opinions and remember that most of what you
will hear is total opinion and alot of time non scientific based.   Just
about any computer radio will get you through many seasons as you get
better and better (because you are flying). And this thing about the
biggest D...... I mean the biggest engine, the most RPMs, is very
difficult to sort through. What rarely you hear is apple to apples
comparison. Every engine 1.4 and up on the market will do the job from at
least into Masters....and when you get to Masters....I would be much more
worried about my actual flying skills than and extra 300-500 RPM
(especially when that really comes from 30% nitro at $25/gal).

The question stands.......Ask any pattern flyer if he thinks his current
plane is "a good plane" and then count the negative answers. I have yet to
hear "This plane sucks but I am gonna fly it this year anyway".  Same goes
with radios and engines. Why? Because the planes radios and engines
available are good.....even if a sponsored pilot is not using it..........

Signed

 "A two stroke guy too stupid to buy a Futaba, or a DZ"

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering