YS DZ160s... OS-160 EFI

Ed Miller edbon85 at optonline.net
Wed Jan 21 02:09:24 AKST 2004

What's interesting in the 4c vs. 2c comparison is the fact that as the 4C YS
has evolved, it needs to be propped to spin faster than the older generation
YS 4C's to stay on it's power curve. Although Yamada has increased the
displacement to the practical limits of the existing case size, he still
needed to compress and time the engine for a higher rpm range in order to
increase power output at the expense of some low end grunt. By comparison,
the newer 2C's seem to be very content to run at 8K to low 8K range which is
nearly silent with 15" 3 blade props. I can remember some older YS 120's
being propped at a very quiet 7500rpm hauling around some very large ( mid
90's over 2meter Omen ) and over 10lb airframes. One would think the 4C
would have the "torque" to spin a heavier load at a lower rpm than the 2C,
but not so when you factor in the natural tuning affect of a pipe/muffler on
the current crop of  2C 's. There is no question in my mind that the 140DZ
is not in the same league top end power wise as the OS140's, 160's, Webras
and Mintor's provided they are on a PIPE and or a very large volume muffler,
in either case something that provides some tuning affect.  Blow a coupler
on a piped 2C at the wrong part of the FAI schedule and watch all that power
disappear. Watching Danny Landis fly the 140 DZ in a 10 3/4 lb Partner in
2003 and a Smaragd in 2002, what disturbed me most about the 140DZ was it's
violent shaking and fuel appetite. What surprised me was Danny's 140DZ's
could not spin the APC/Lockhart 15.75x11 3 blade that the OS and Webra 2C
spin effortlessly.. Fuel consumption I can deal with but hopefully the 160DZ
will be somewhat smoother and more powerful than the 140. It's amazing that
the YS has come from that small valve 120 version first seen here in the
late '80's to the 140 and now 160 fuel injection version today and yet it
still occupies the same footprint as the original 120. Quite an engineering
feat.
Diehard YS fan going OS 2C in '04 but keeping a watchful eye on 160DZ's for
'05.
Ed M.