Screeching sound on a YS140

David Harmon K6XYZ at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 15:14:57 AKST 2004

Yep..I had this very thing happen to me.

The rear bearing is bad and under certain conditions inside the engine,
the inner race will rotate on the shaft causing a screeching sound.
Mine did not do it all the time so it didn't get fixed right away.
Finally I started it up and let it idle for awhile and when it started
screeching the idle rpm went down quite a bit.
Obviously, something was binding up.
Upon disassembly, I found that the inner race of the rear bearing had
ground down the O. D. of the shaft.
I had to buy a new shaft as well as bearings.
Don't continue to run it or the shaft will be damaged.

Regards

Dave Harmon
NSRCA 586
K6XYZ[at]comcast[dot]net