Simple wing retention

RUDDERCABL at aol.com RUDDERCABL at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 18:09:08 AKST 2004

In a message dated 1/16/2004 11:31:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Eric.Henderson at gartner.com writes:
Lamar Blair and Jerry Stebbins sell a very nice nylon insert that grabs the
4-40 very well indeed. A very neat homemade option is to use plastic water
pipe. One that has too big a diameter. What you do is cut off a 1/2" wide piece.
Then cut out enough of the "ring" so that it can be compressed and pushed into
the wing tube. A touch of CA and you have a section that can be threaded and
will "grab" your $4000 screw.
I have been using the plastic water pipe method for five years. However, I
don't CA it in the wingtube. Should the threads be stripped at a contest, it can
be pulled out, rotated a few degrees and redrilled and threaded in less than
ten minutes.

As far as simple is concerned, one 4-40 screw can't get any simpler. Any one
who wants snap on devices is looking for instant gradifacation, not simplicity!

Robert Gainey