Sidemounted engine

Nat Penton natpenton at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 16 17:01:08 AKST 2004

Looking at the undesirable forces that would be generated by the assymetric distribution of weight to achieve lateral balance - hard yaw or tight corners would produce no effect because all components would be subject to the same acceleration. There would be an effect during roll, however, because the masses are subjected to different rates of acceleration (polar ) . Our planes damp and reach steady state roll rapidly . These unwanted roll forces would cause a change in pitch ( same as when one aileron has more throw ) during their short life . The magnitude of the pitch change would be hard to quantify ( by me ) .