My Head Is Spinning!

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 8 17:52:06 AKST 2004

I have to agree with Matt on that one. Among the top of the line engines the choice has a lot to do with personal preferences as power with the 2 vs 4 strokes is getting very close to being a wash. The question is almost like asking which is the best breakfast cereal. The answer depends on what flavor you like personally. People will go into pros and cons as there will be with everything, but just about all of the top of the line stuff is good.

If you go 2 stroke you will have to make sure that your fuse can handle the larger pipe. Other than that just about everything else is a matter of personal choice. The downline braking seems to be better with a 4 stroke, but that might not be a major issue in intermediate / advanced which is what I think you will be flying. On the 2 stroke side, you are probably more used to the care and feeding of a 2 stroke because you flew your YS 61 for a couple of seasons. You are used to their power curve and how they tune and accelerate. Peronally I prefer two strokes and was sad when I had to finally accept that I couldn't fly any of the bigger planes with my old YS-61. At the time there weren't many 2 stroke options so I bit the bullet and got a YS-120. When I learned how to use it I loved it and still do, but it did take some getting used to. I now have an OS-140 that I have not run yet, but I am sure that I will love it as well, and the Mintor 140/170 is a work of art!

My suggestion, get as much info as you can, weigh the pros and cons, narrow it down to your personal favorites, then close your eyes and pick.