District 6 - Judging seminar contact

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Jan 8 11:40:19 AKST 2004

On Jan 8, 2004, at 1:45 PM, Gray E Fowler wrote:

> If you attend the NATS with us this year as required, you can take the
> judging clinic in Muncie Sunday night.

What Gray says is absolutely correct, BUT I would only recommend
attending the Sunday judge training session as the last resort.  First,
an Intermediate pilot attending his first Nats will be almost
overwhelmed by it and that's not the time to be trying to learn how to
judge.  Second, I do the judging matrix for the Nats and I will only
use an Intermediate judge if he/she responds to the judging questions
in the entry form in such a way that I feel he/she is competent to
judge Advanced pilots fairly.  We hope that all pilots will have
attended a judge training clinic and have done some judging at local
contests before showing up at the Nats.  Most of the Intermediate
pilots are assigned to do flightline frequency control.  Only the
pilots who have attended a judge training clinic and report confidence
with judging one class up or down are assigned to judge at the Nats.
It's only right that competitors be judged fairly by experienced
judges.

Ron Van Putte