Painting Tips

AWorrest at aol.com AWorrest at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 10:55:39 AKST 2004

I had a really bad experience using Flightglas Models Liquid Masking Film on
Formula U polyurethane paint.  The Liquid Masking Film was purchased a long
time ago and my experience may not be relevant to current products on the
market.  Anyway, the LMF peeled easily off glossy paint.  But where I had sanded
down the paint to take another coat, the LMF stuck better to the paint than the
paint stuck to the primer.  Result was that patches of paint was peeled off in
trying to remove the LMF.

I didn't have problems with either 3M Thinline tape or vinyl tape as long as
the sticky area width was limited to 1/4 inch or less.  The vinyl tape has a
little less adhesion than the same width, green Thinline.  I've been told that
some auto paint shops sell vinyl masking tape in narrow widths.

Allan Worrest