Painting Tips

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Sun Jan 4 10:47:53 AKST 2004

My .02 worth.

I find the 3M fine line is the only way to go. It's available in a dozen different widths (from 1/32 - 1" ) and has an extrememly crisp edge...rarely does it bleed unless you've been careless in applying it.

It also has a very moderate tack...the only times I've "peeled" paint is when the underlying coat wasn't preped well and didn't adhere properly.

As for the liquid mask...you'll have a difficult time creating straight stripes.  It's great for creative designs...I'm just not creative or artistic.

As for making great pin stripes with the fineline tape...buy tape the thickness you want the stripe to be...and lay the tape on as if it were the stripe. Then lay tape along both sides...butting the edges flush together...and remove the initial piece of tape and you'll be left with an area to paint thats straight and maintains the perfect width the entire length.

Hope that helps...

Mark