Motor Mounts

Ed Miller edbon85 at optonline.net
Fri Jan 2 04:40:11 AKST 2004

Has there been any changes to the Hyde "A" mount recently ?? The one I weighed was 6 ounces not including firewall mounting or engine mounting screws. Seems to me a stiffer/heavier firewall would also need to be used with the A mount as not only is the engine and mount weight hanging off it but the twisting and shaking motion is bared solely by the firewall. Guess it would require a carbon fiber firewall, especially on a large frontal area plane so as to eliminate any flexing of the firewall.  A typical soft mount with nose ring setup actually uses the fuse from the firewall forward as part of the "stressed mounting member" and I know I can do a Rotomount/Nose ring with all hardware and mounting points for under 3.5 ounces and have adjustability. Seems the biggest advantage of the A mount is ease of installation and installation in a plane with a removable cowl where installing a nose ring can be a complicated affair.
Ed M.