Carbon Push Rod Size

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Sun Feb 29 18:43:28 AKST 2004

Actually the pushrods I use on the elevator are a 0.070" CF rod it is solid not a hollow tube. This is where I use the BVM stainless connectors. These rods are solid and are run parallel down the fuse to the elevator 1/2's This is a solid light and easy way to run elevator pushrod setups.

I did a write up about a year ago on the system and you can find it on the rcaerosport.com website and also Don Ramsey's website. It shows pics and gives the part numbers and where to get the pushrod setup parts.

These are not the pushrods sold by Central Hobbies...However I use the Central Pushrods exclusively for everything else. These are the absolute best available. In fact I use the central pushrod setup to connect the dual elevator pushrod to the servo side.

For pushrods on the Ailerons the Central Hobbies 5/32" pushrods with the 2-56 or 4-40 Titanium ends are great. I have used these for a really long time...Like since 98'.   I have thousands of flights and zero failures. I have never even heard of a failure except in an extremely long runs of the pushrods being unsupported...In these cases it was a poor install and harmonics issues. My personal opinion is the rod runs more than about 10-12" it needs to be supported.

I just started using the 1/8" pushrods with the 2mm titanium ends. This are super light and have been very very solid. Again same system of rods and ends and I don't see any issues even though I have only a few flights on the smaller pushrods.

The Central Pushrods are actually hollow tubes...and the sizes are the O.D. The titanium ends get epoxy, JB Weld, or Thick CA inside of the tubes.

I actually use thick CA on all the ends and have not had any problems. I make sure its coated well and then don't use any kicker...

I feel the JB weld or 30min epoxy would be a less critical install. Although I have never had the CA fail, I can see where the quicker drying CA could not get good coverage. The slower set stuff is probably easier to work with...just takes more time to cure up.

Troy Newman