OS1.40 Pipe

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Feb 29 16:36:03 AKST 2004

On Feb 29, 2004, at 6:27 PM, Jeff Hughes wrote:

> Now that I have my OS1.40 mounted in my new focus, I find that the
> pipe hits
> the side of the pipe tunnel due to the right thrust. Can I just bend
> the
> pipe, or should I heat it first?

You should heat the header with a torch and bend it when it gets
'plastic'.  It's pretty scary the first time you do it.   I put the end
of the header that attaches to the engine in a vise and insert a dowel
in the other end.
Then I apply pressure with the dowel and heat the header.  You heat the
header all around in the area you want it to bend in and hold pressure
in the direction you want it to bend.  Nothing will happen for what
appears to be a long time.  Then, suddenly,  the header will get all
'floppy'.  You apply pressure in the right direction and the header
will bend very easily.  Remove the pressure and the heat and breathe
easier.  It's tougher to explain than it is to do it. but I guarantee
that you will suddenly realize that you were holding your breath.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org