Regulator voltage

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 09:17:13 AKST 2004

John,
I'll try to explain it this way.  Think of the regulator as a variable
resistor that automatically changes its resistance to cause the voltage to
drop from whatever the input is, say 6.1 volts, to whatever the regulator is
set to, say 5.7 volts.  The resistance this takes is dependent on the
current.  For example, at one amp the resistance would need to be .4 volts
divided by one amp equals .4 ohms.  At 5 amps it would need to be .08 ohms.
If the input voltage is 7.9 volts and the load is one amp the resistance
would need to be 2.2 ohms.  It is just like an automatic valve in a water
line that adjusts for upsteam pressure and water flow rate.

The chip I use has a minimum resistance of .05 ohms so it is the low input
voltage we are worried about.  If we want the regulation to hold at 5.7 at
one amp, the input voltage must be more than 5.75.  (.05 ohms x 1 amp = .05
volts).  At five amps it must be 5.95 volts ( .05x5=.25).  This drop is very
important if the pack drops real low to say 5.5 volts.  We'd like the output
to be as close to 5.5 as possible.
I should point out that you might have trouble duplicating these numbers
because of voltage drops in the wires and connectors.  The R/C connectors
are not designed for 5 amps and will have a significant drop at those kind
of currents.
Many voltage regulator ICs have as much as 1.5 volts drop at high currents
and therefore are not suitable with 5 cell packs but you can see they might
work okay with Li-Ion or six cell packs.
If this isn't clear don't feel bad about asking again.
Jim