PPG basecoat clear coat question

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 12:08:34 AKST 2004

 Troy is correct except I opt for no clear coat.
After I paint the base color I wait overnight then wet sand the entire
airplane with 2000 grit sandpaper after it is sanded to where the entire surface has
the same dull appearance and being careful not to sand through I mask and
paint the trim colors. Wait overnight, remove the mask and sand the trim colors
to remove all sharp edges along mask lines.
After all is sanded I polish out with 3-M Imperial Hand Glaze #39007
I don't see a good reason to clear coat this system, after it cures for a few
days acetone wont even phase it.
It is important that if you use a primer use PPG K-36 or equal some primers
are not fuel proof and hot fuel can damage the finish if it gets under the
painted surface in places where you drill holes to install engine needle valve
access or other equipment.
Sanding before you add trim colors removes weight. dust, bugs or anything
else that fell on the wet paint and also allows you to sand out any runs in the
paint if you end up with any it also assures a smooth mask surface which will
minimize run under of the trim colors
Buddy Brammer