PPG basecoat clear coat question

mdarr00 at comcast.net mdarr00 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 07:35:44 AKST 2004

Mark, yes you can mask after about 40 minutes, so yes you can apply multiple
coats in one day.  Basically you do not have a choice but to apply all of
the color within 24 hours.  Now, I have waited up to 48 hours before I
applied the clear, but you run the risk of the clear either fogging  up, or
cracking.  If you do wait more than 24 hours I suggest to scuff, and reapply
the color as PPG suggests.

On you mixing ratios, I am not sure what reducer you are using, but I mixed
mine the way the p-sheet said, and it was 5:1 for the color and 2:1 for the
clear.  I have not ever had the paint build up any film.  Just spray it on
in light coats, just allowing enough dry time for the color to tack up, then
apply the next coat.  Repeat this process until your color is achieved.  As
soon as the color is solid (no longer transparent) STOP spraying.  More
paint is not going to give you a better paint job, it will just get heavier.
The color will not have a shine until the clear is applied.

The reason you can not wait more that 24 hours to apply the clear is that
the color and the clear react together to obtain the proper hardness.  If
the color is allowed to dry to long this will not happen, and you will have
a very weak paint job.  This time of year you may get away with waiting a
little longer, as I did, but I would strongly recommend against waiting
longer that 24 hours in the summer.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org