receiver antenna placement

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 06:49:20 AKST 2004

I guess that I am not a real pattern pilot.  I have to run the antennas outside.  I have a Hydeout and a Focus.  Both use steel wire for rudder and elevator.  The Focus has a carbon rod for the elevator.  In both planes and certain conditions (example: slow roll when the antenna gets behind the steel cables) the radio has been going safe-fail for slit second.  The only cure after sending radio and receiver for tuning was to run the antenna outside.

After having this experience, I am not confident to run antennas inside my planes.  I know that there is a very high percentage of pattern pilots that run the antenna inside.  Probably I am doing something wrong in the installation and I haven't been able to figure it out.

Vicente Bortone

# discussion-request at nsrca.org