mintor setup / fuel lines / ES pipes

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Mon Feb 23 12:16:11 AKST 2004

HI All,

This is in regards to the previous threads about the Mintor setup.  I tried
to respond but got an undeliverable message stating "email to large for
list," or something similar.

After owning 7 pattern planes and now on my 8th, this is the first one I've
routed the fuel lines outside the plane.  Before the firewall they exit,
after the firewall they return.  This is the smartest thing I think you can
do for fuel lines!  Versus the "T" arrangements, you don't need to crimp the
fuel lines on a hot day or when refueling.  When done flying, just "plug"
the outside portion of the fuel line.  This also aids running the fuel out
of the engine if you do that.  I have a check valve on the inside near the
engine on the vent line.  This stops any spillage.  On a hot day, you can
unplug and "vent" if you like.  This is also quite handy when flipping the
plane around on the work bench to avoid any fuel dripage.

I ran the ES 2C90S pipe and now the ES 2C90L.  I was hesitant to run the
long pipe because I needed to elongate the pipe tunnel on my Lazulite.
However I did it and it has made a huge difference.  There is a BIG
difference in how the engine runs from pipe-to-pipe.  The short pipe
produced a lot of power and good throttling on the ground, but needed to be
run at full header plus 1.0" or so to get the engine to throttle down (less
spooling down) during flight.  Even with this, the plane seemed to coast and
was harder to slow down (but would eventually).  The long pipe on full
header is producing about the same power but definitely "throttles" better.
After flying it for the first time yesterday amid intermittent rain showers,
there is a stark difference in the way the plane flies.  The long pipe
allows you to see the airplanes speed change when you reduce power.  The
coasting effect seems to be eliminated totally.

Long story short (no pun intended), run the LONG ES pipe in the big
2-cycles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It makes a huge difference when the
maneuvers come up quickly (like the FAI pattern), because you can control
the deceleration better into the next maneuver.  You can get away with a
2-cycle not quite throttling down properly in the AMA classes, but it will
hurt your flying noticeably if you move to FAI.  Last year I flew the pipe
with the header cut 1.0" and flew the Masters pattern fine.  Now set at full
header with long ES pipe.  No more pipe tuning....

Jim W.