Help with starting a Mintor 170

Patternrules at aol.com Patternrules at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 18:52:34 AKST 2004

 Although I don't have the 170 but do have the 140 if I remember right is set
at about 7/8 out, but the thing you have to do is try to set "your" engine, I
put little trust in "factory settings" and more on what makes it run right,
for one use a Radio South glow driver it will help to tell you what's going on
and will burn fuel out faster, if you primed till you had fuel coming back out
of the carb I think you have already went way to far you could have the
crankcase flooded if it's full your in a bad way to start off, did you ever
completely drain all fuel out of the crankcase by removing the glow plug, turning it
upside down and turning the motor over with the fuel line off, and draining
though the exhaust, As Jim said the cold weather could have a lot to do with it
and is probably the worst conition to try to start a new engine especially one
setup as tight as the Mintors, so I would turn the needle in till you can't
get fuel though to the carb then back off till it will, be ready to richen.
they used to tune one engine and I can't remember what it was but they blew
though the fuel line to set up, so when you notice the pressure change you know
your getting there.Good luck.

Steve Maxwell