Another servo problem to ponder

Gene Maurice gene.maurice at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 15:10:55 AKST 2004

Please help. I have stripped aileron servo gears FOUR times. At first I
thought it was infant mortality followed by the dumb ass missed a piece of
crud in the servo case. I don't think that's what happened

Here's the setup. The plane is an Aries, JR 8231 servos. Plane and servos
are less than four months old: about 60-70 flights. Right aileron has broken
3 times and the left has broken once (one each today). The breakage has
always been slightly right of center on the output gear. There is no static
binding. The hinge lines are sealed.  I can't be positive but I believe the
gears are breaking during a down line snap. BTW, I snap to the right. I
don't believe its flutter because the breakage is NOT at center. I don't
believe its excessive travel because the breakage is not at the extremes of
travel.

Can the initial load of a snap place enough load on an 88 oz. servo to break
a gear? I have used this exact same servo setup in two other planes. I did
break a gear one in one of those planes. Again, I just chalked it up to
wear.

Confused and at a loss in Plano.

Gene Maurice

gene.maurice at comcast.net