Tonight's Dumb Idea...

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Thu Feb 19 18:51:01 AKST 2004

Earl,
I really enjoy the scientific approach you take to things, and the level of effort to get objective results.  Thanks.

I wanted to respond to the people that are looking for that elusive resonant frequency that, if found, could be designed out of the mount.  It ain't possible.  The resonance of a plane is not the result of its composition, or its mount, or the isolation, or its stiffness or weight.  It is all of these and more.  In fact it is possible to change these frequencies by installing a servo rail at the right location, or by going to a harder or softer mount.

I had the opportunity to test a high resolution laser system that I designed in the Kodak imaging labs on a vibration table.  This thing was cool.  After putting accelerometers at key locations the very expensive table began to vibrate.  The frequence and amplitude was computer controlled to cover the range of operating requirements and after running for an hour or so would print out graphs and charts of all the data.

I learned that the difference by changing the type and thickness of rubber isolators was amazing.  An unquantified "Soft mount" is so imprecise it's laughable.  Each mount has its own range of effectiveness and range of ineffectiveness.  Besides changing shock absorption we also moved parts closer to the vibration source or farther away, depending on their mass, to find the right balance.  I was not the expert in this area but learned that our practice of slapping rubber on our mount (be it Hyde style, or lord mouns, or Gator grommets)  is crude, but effective enough.  Just don't expect it to be equally effective at all RPMs or comparable from plane to plane.

--Lance