Soft Mounting Benefits (was: Tonight's Dumb Idea...)

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Thu Feb 19 07:05:54 AKST 2004

>Oh, I don't doubt that soft mounting does a little good, but I meet sound
>requirements

That's not surprising, soft mounting the motor only really helps with
noise attenuation to a noticeable degree on conventional,
semi-flexible, fiberglass fuselages, and even then only a little.
The real benefit is reduced wear and tear on the airframe and mounted
system components.

>don't wear out servos,

Yeah you do.  Maybe you don't realize it, but you do (and a lot
quicker without an effectively soft-mounted motor).

>  so what is the benefit to me?

Less maintenance, higher reliability, maybe a "free airplane" from
not crashing one you might of lost otherwise due to a fatigued/failed
component.

>Then
>some guys are deciding there's too much shaking going on and trying to
>mount servos right on the engine mount anyway?

I don't think that was the point of Bob P. wanting to try it.

>Maybe the high mileage guys
>get some benefit, but for my couple hundred flights a year, it doesn't pay.

I only flew about 120 flights last year and there is no question that
it's worth it.  Flying so little, I can't afford to waste valuable
practice time chasing unnecessary (and largely preventable)
maintenance items.

Just my opinion, as always YMMV.

Jerry

--