Tonight's Dumb Idea...

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 19:26:42 AKST 2004

My experience is the oposite.  I will never go back to hard mount.  I agree with Jim.  If I remember right from ME vibration courses, the resonance frequency (RF) is a complex function of the square root of mass divided by stiffness SQRT(K/M)of the mechanical device.  In our 2 meter planes the mass is low since they are light and they are not as stiff compared with smaller planes.  That means that the RF of our 2M pattern planes is a lot lower than the old smaller designs with 0.60 engines.  At the same time, we are using engines that are very powerful with lower RPM to reduce noise.  That means that the vibration generating device (motor) frequency gets very close to the airframe RF and that is the problem.  The only way to avoid passing the resonant frequency to the airframe is to isolate the vibration generating device from the airframe.  That is the soft mount.  This also reduce the noise from the airframe (drum effect) and planes with soft mounts are less noisy than same planes with hard engine mounts.

Please don't ask me to prove the theory.  In the practical side is very easy and I will tell you my experience using my Focus.  The Focus has removable cowl and is easy to run the engine with the cowl removed.  Make sure that you hold the plane and a friend help you.  I ran the engine at different RPMs and put my finger in the engine beam and felt the vibration level  (if you keep it there too long you will feel vibration pain).  Then put the same finger in the engine box or firewall.  You will feel how much the soft mount is isolating the vibration from the engine.  Please be very careful and don't get close to the prop.

Vicente Bortone

# discussion-request at nsrca.org