Spoilerons

Alan Hewson alan at countryworkshop.ca
Wed Feb 18 15:12:28 AKST 2004

I love using spoilerons. I started using them on a 60 size Nova. I have used
them on a USA Star, a Saffire, and now on a Typhoon 2000. The magic number
for me is 50% throw. I use the Futaba airbrake function so it allows you to
also set an elevator trim. Different planes respond differently to the
elevator trim.......Adjust as necessary.

I use a 3-position switch for this function. The first position is off. The
middle position is LOW idle (barely reliable on the ground), and the third
position is low idle and spoilerons. With spoilerons switched on I often
need to apply a little power before touching down.

I also use the spoilerons to correct for a less than perfect glide path. If
I am going to over shoot the runway I switch on and if I am coming in short,
I switch them off. The attitude of the plane never changes if you have
properly trimmed the elevator.

My two cents worth,
Alan Hewson
Thornton, Ontario, Canada