Tonight's Dumb Idea...

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Tue Feb 17 17:59:14 AKST 2004

Everything has a resonant frequency including a block of aluminum. You never
want a critical component to go into resonance.  You want to keep the
resonant frequency of all the critical components high and keep them from
being excited by the engine vibration.  The idea of engine soft mounting is
to build a low pass filter that attenuates the higher frequencies so they
don't excite the resonanat frequency of the servos, etc.  If there is no
isolation, there is no attenuation and you stand a better chance of shaking
your servo apart.
That's about all I remember from my course in vibration umpty years ago.
Notice I didn't say umpteen.
Jim