Sitting in the plane or not ?

george kennie geobet at gis.net
Sun Feb 8 18:24:15 AKST 2004

In my experience, I think my focal point is the C.G. area of the
airplane.
As far as placing your cognitive awareness in the cockpit goes, I flew
that way for many years and as you will note, the inference is aimed at
beginning pilots and I concur. However, after flying that way for 30+
years I finally came to the realization that in rapid orientation
changes it is absolutely impossible for anyone to avoid control position
separation. Once separation occurs, a time lapse of varying interval
occurs during which it becomes necessary to reestablish positional
continuity and this interval will vary with the ability of the
individual.Once you get behind it's very tough to catch up.For me the
interval is not an acceptable one, so a few years back I abandoned the
practice in favor of flying the aircraft as a remote object that
requires specific inputs based upon a learned responce to positional
attitudes.Once these responces are learned and practiced, they become
allmost automatic and the cockpit separation time lapse all but
disappears. Now I am allmost never " in the cockpit" and that feeling of
"losing it" is quite infrequent, and if I burned 28 cases of fuel a
season would probably be history totally.
If you think I'm full of it, then try doing a rolling circle with one
roll and let me see you stay in the cockpit all the way around. Gets
pretty tough after 180 degrees, huh? The loop with one roll too gets
tricky. There's a lot happening positionally to really confuse the brain
and if your brain is as confused as mine you're probably more secure
accomplishing these maneuvers by rote and swallowing your pride.
Just my approach,
Georgie