Sitting in the plane or not ?

Alan Hewson alan at countryworkshop.ca
Sat Feb 7 19:13:48 AKST 2004

It's time for my $0.02 Canadian worth. (That's about $0.01 USD)
I never felt I was a competent (or safe) pilot until I could put my mind in the cockpit of the plane I was flying. My friend who taught me to fly kept telling me just to create a mind link with the plane. I have vivid memories of the flight when I realized I had done that. It was the middle of my third season of flying......It was late in the evening.....flying a trainer.....and doing repetitive "touch and goes".
Many years later, Harry Ells will still tell me that I need to practice which direction to use the rudder so this is not the way I will become the perfect pilot. Maybe I need a little more practice.
The other thing that contributed to my flying ability was when Steve Miller told me the secret to his amazing slow rolls. He told me he just uses a little aileron to roll and then just gives the plane whatever input the plane needs to keep it on a straight line. This eliminates thinking about wind corrections. I found this works for most maneuvers.
I still keep my mind in the plane.
How???? I don't know. I think Bob P is right........lots of flights.
Have fun burning fuel.

Alan Hewson
Buried in snow too.