Tuning OS's

Gene Maurice gene.maurice at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 16:40:56 AKST 2004

Try http://www.afcbearings.com/

Gene Maurice

gene.maurice at comcast.net

Plano, TX

NSRCA 877

AMA 3408

  _____

From: discussion-request at nsrca.org [mailto:discussion-request at nsrca.org] On
Behalf Of Rodney Tanner
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 4:25 PM
To: discussion at nsrca.org
Subject: Re: Tuning OS's

Eric,

Where can you obtain stainless steel bearings for the OS 1.40 RX?

Thanks

Rodney

"Henderson,Eric" <Eric.Henderson at gartner.com> wrote:

My time with the OS 1.40RX goes back to 1997/8 when I bought four of them
and a tuned pipe from a small English hobby shop, on one of my trips to the
UK. Although I don't own the motors anymore I know where they are. :-)   The
UK customs had a fit when they saw the pipe on their x-ray machine... Just
made the plane in time...

The first modification was a new carb-jet that OS provided FOC to cure a
mid-range gurgling problem.  Back then,  the motor was a novelty and not
taken seriously, even though it pulled my old Hydeout vertically
out-a-sight.  Things went quiet for a while and around the year 2000 there
was an upsurge of interest. The EFI caught a lot of attention and then the
experimenters started working on their 2-cycles of all types. The second
modification was to fit stainless steel bearings :-)

The price of the OS 1.40  EFI made us look at the RX again. Dave Shadel came
out with a piston and liner. Fuel was modified to meet the spec's that OS
had always listed. Coolpower was always around 15/17-18 and often proved to
be the best fuel for the average pattern OS 2-c pundit. The OS 1.40 RX had a
different shaft and carb by then. The new carb had a bigger throat and the
shaft had a narrower mouth. Never got to try an old shaft with a new model
carb. Did cut a 1.40 two plug head that was never tested. Found out that one
OS "F" did the job with less plug-fuss.

The Shadel liner is not a must but does give more power. I like it because
it is an aftermarket add-on that anyone could fit. Another aftermarket is
the OS mixture carb. I first heard of this from Jeff Carrish. I then got to
fly one on Dixie-Chicks-Earl's Temptation. The Webra MC testing got me
interested and then the flight-experience convinced me that this carb
(Approx. $79) makes a big difference. You have five points on the carb and
seven on a JR 10X. You can adjust the carb to perfectly match the behavior
of almost any pipe. With the OS Hatori and this carb on a 1.40RX it was just
like flying the 1.40 EFI. ( This motor BTW still had the std liner etc.)

I was so impressed with the tunability of this carb that I am fitting one to
my 1.60 as soon as it arrives in the mail - checking for it every day...!!

As much as I like to only do easy after market mods, I did break down with
the OS 1,60. The 1.40RX pump was so good that I grafted one to my motor and
ran it last season. The 1.60 Carb worked just fine and I am told that the
1.40 RX carb  works even better, at least in Norway or Sweden? (They  all
have 15 mm openings in the crankcase).  An OS 1.60 FX w/pump and an OS mix
carb should be pure fun to play with and of course, fly!

I still hope that OS will come out with a rear exhaust 1.60, (or more),
w/pump.

Is winter over yet?

Regards,

Eric.