Snap Rolls.....are they legitimate/ RE: displacement during snap rolls discussion

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Dec 30 06:58:26 AKST 2004

Bill, and Bob P,

Excellent points. I think part of the rules committee responsibility in determining new maneuver sequences should be coming up with something that is appropriately challenging for the pilots AND is easy to judge. IMHO, putting snapping maneuvers in turnarounds at the end of the box is NOT something that should be done. Snaps are difficult enough to judge, put them RIGHT IN FRONT for everyones benefit, or leave them out altogether.

I'm thinking that if someone performs a snapping maneuver at the end of the box, I should not give them a zero just because I am not able to see a "clean break" on entry, due to a very poor perspective which is beyond the control of either myself or the pilot.  I may zero it as being an obvious "non-snap" from other signs that I CAN see, but not for what it is impossible for me to see. JMHO.

Bob Richards.

Bill Glaze <billglaze at triad.rr.com> wrote:
Bob:
I remember being told that a good pattern maneuver is "hard to do, easy to judge."  While I, too, enjoy doing snaps, this discussion has made me wonder if there is any place for them in pattern.  And, I am beginning to backpedal (because I admittedly like them) and am wondering if there is any place for them at all except in, possibly, FAI.  And even there, the only reason for them would be the mandate by the  international body.  Inasmuch as I have no control over this issue, I'm just musing.

Bill Glaze

Bob Pastorello wrote: That is an excellent point, Chris.  And your modesty to not add "Intermediate National Champion" to your credentials is noted.
    The issue of a virtually-uncontrollable maneuver EXCEPT for entry and exit, does bring a valid question about it's place in our game.  I think Ed Miller mentioned (sorry if wrong) that longer-duration maneuvers with more easily-visible segments have their OWN level of difficulty.
    In '99, when I was working on the Rules Committee, and we were designing new sequences one of the suggestions in Masters was a Center maneuver, a square loop with 2/4 on U/D, 1/2 on horizontal legs.  We were TRASHED for even suggesting such a thing!!!
    The reason I mention that is to consider difficulty and pilot challenge, wouldn't most of us agree that the square loop I describe would be more easily judged, and more challenging for the majority of pilots than the downline SINGLE snap we have in '05 ???

Since we're in a rules cycle year, maybe this is a good time to rethink the "required elements" of every class, and look more for "what do guys WANT to have in the sequence?"

Great thread starter, Chris.

Bob Pastorello
NSRCA 199  AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net