[SPAM] Re: Displacement during snap rolls (was Why is it so quiet?)

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 29 10:23:58 AKST 2004

Errors in track can occur in pitch, roll, and yaw.  They are all subject to downgrades on the basis of 1 point per 15 degrees.

Whatever the appropriate downgrade is for "excessive" vertical displacement on a snap should be the same downgrade that is applied for "excessive" lateral displacement.  Depending on the position of the snap (viewing angle), the vertical and and/or lateral displacement may be very hard to see.

Snaps occur from a stalled condition - achieved by the "break"  which must be visible.  No break, score is zero.  While there is not a specific downgrade for displacement (vertically or laterally), I believe the 1 point per 15 degree rule can be applied.  If the overall geometry of a manuever is adversely effected by the displacement of the snap, the downgrade should be 1 point per 15 degrees of geometric error in the maneuver.  For instance -
- 45 downline with 1 positive snap in calm air.
- Assume no other defects excepting displacement in pitch during the break.
- As measured between the finish of the entry radius and the start of the exit radius, the track of the plane is a 30 degree angle.
- The track of the plane is incorrect by 15 degrees.  Using 1 point per 15 degrees the manuever would score a 9.

Obviously enough, the amount of displacement would have to be huge to change the overall line by 15 degrees - so in practice, the deduction would be much smaller than one point (if any).

Perhaps some relation to stall turns is possible -
- Stall turns can be downgraded for the upline and downline track not being parallel.
- Stall turns can be additionally downgraded for the pivot radius being too large (even when the upline and downline are parallel, but not superimposed).

Displacement in a snap is kind of like displacement in yaw at the top of a stall turn.  Ideally, an airplane yaws about the CG in a stall turn - but this rarely happens in practice - so the rules allow for a nominal pivot radius (displacement) without downgrade.  I think this same idea could be applied to displacement (vertical and lateral) of snaps - but it would have to be in the rulebook.

Thoughts?  (as if this string won't run on and on for the next few days, <G>).

Regards,

Dave