Displacement during snap rolls

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed Dec 29 06:19:20 AKST 2004

Hi Archie,
That just isn't true. A stall is not an on/off switch deal. It progresses over a range of angles of attack,
and the autorotative tendency of the plane both comes and goes as the plane increases angle of attack.
Stalled does not mean zero lift! The center of gravity will and must wobble some in a snap.
Because the plane does not go from flying to stalled  instantaneously, there will be a displacement of the
CG both to the top of the plane, and to the side being snapped, assuming a positive snap.
We need to write a standard for what is acceptable. I remember 1/2 wingspan in an old IAC judges' guide,
but I need to look it up, as the last time I saw one of those was nearly 20 years ago.

I was one of those FAI judges at the NATs, and we were not looking for a "VERY clean break", to quote you ... we were just looking and hoping to see one, at all !
You have to see a change in pitch. If you don't see one, or if the pilot treats you to a change in yaw before, the rolling starts,
then you have been presented with what I like to call a twinkle roll. That's not a snap.
Things are busy here, at work today, so this is a short note, about a long subject, but I feel the need to throw my two cents in.
Later,
    Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer