cookies and OnLine Voting

RC Steve Sterling rcsteve at tcrcm.org
Thu Dec 23 18:33:14 AKST 2004

Thanks Bill-- you can probably tell I love this techy stuff-- Which has got
me thinking about the correct way to do an online voting system, should the
new officers and membership choose to consider it.

To ensure acceptability, it would need to be a "double-blind" system.
Required protections would include:
-- Define criteria of "valid voting members", then system restricts voting
to only those meeting the criteria.
-- Authenticate the voter (ensure someone else doesn't vote in your name).
-- Ensure no multiple ballots.
-- Provide feedback to the voter so they know their vote got registered as
the intended, and provide a doublecheck just in case the system errors or
did let someone else vote in your spot.
-- Protect the secrecy of an individual's vote. (Use double-blind databases)
-- Auditable results.
-- Mail-in ballots for those that don't have online access or don't want to
use online ballots.

I'm not sure "double-blind" system is exactly the correct label for it, but
I'll try to illistrate. Think of a paper ballot with individual serial
numbers, the serial number is listed on the main ballot, plus on a tear-off
strip. When someone votes and puts their ballot in the box, they tearoff the
strip with their ballot serial number on it. When tallying the votes, a list
is made of the ballot serial numbers and how it was voted. An individual
voter can look at the results list, and using the ballot serial number,
check and see that his/her vote was counted, and counted correctly. But know
one can tell how any individual voted except the individual voter that holds
that ballot number.

We could build it, test it over the next year on some surveys, work out any
bugs and build user confidence, before doing anything as critical as an
election.

Steve Sterling
Web Team Member