Rear Exhaust motor from Thunder Tiger

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Tue Dec 21 18:37:44 AKST 2004

Hi John,

I had one, and I liked it a lot. The only thing I didn't like was the bottom end. It transitioned fine, but I never could get the idle as low as I wanted. I suppose playing with different props and such would yeild good results.

The exhaust system seems to be more picky on this engine than most large 2 cycles. I ran it with a macs header and a CD Cannister system I got from Lamar Blair, and it ran well. It was a tad on the heavy side though.

I did have to play with the pump pressure a little to get it right, and change plugs a lot until I finally installed an OS F.

It doesn't quite have the power of an OS 140, but more than a YS 120 (any flavor). About the same power as the YS 140L, if propped and piped right.

Would I use one again? Yes, if I had a plane that was light and needed some punch, but an OS 140 would be too much. I wouldn't use it on a 2 meter plane unless it was one of the older skinny designs. But one of the current 90-110 sized models, yep.

Not sure if that helped or confused you. It has it's little quirks, but it can be a good engine.

-Mike