Thanks, and.....

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 07:48:56 AKST 2004

THANKS.............and soapbox.............

Firstly, thanks to all of the folks working to make the process better, and the efforts to fix the bumps along the way.  The majority of the current NSRCA officers posting on this "ballot" thread I've known for a number of years.....5......10......maybe even 20.  I think they are all trustworthy with process, so THANKs for the work.

I volunteered (or got volunteered) to be the D1 VP way back in 1988, and did that job for 4-5 years.  I did it initially because I thought it would be fun and a great way to communicate ideas, share knowledge, and develop friendships with a great bunch of people.  I also found out how much work being an officer of the NSRCA was, and how it was often difficult to deal with personalities, opinions, egos, and hidden agendas.  And 90% of the complainers offered no positive criticism.  Not always pleasant.  I continued to do the job because the fun and rare thanks outweighed the hassles.

In the past week, I've seen a lot of misinformation, and a  number of allegations and conclusions based on misinformation.  And unless I've missed something, I don't think I've seen a single apology after the facts were presented.  And I've seen a couple people "attacked" for putting forth, in my opinion, honest efforts to help the situation.  No one likes to be attacked, especially a volunteer who is trying to help.

The vast majority of this community is in it for the fun and love of pattern – win or lose.  And passion for the event can lead to some disagreements, but I think it is important to remember we need to keep it fun to maintain our numbers and hopefully grow them – we are too small a community to fight amongst ourselves.  And, when you come across the occasional guy (and you will) who perpetuates misinformation, draws conclusions based on misinformation, or has a personal/hidden agenda, and offers no apology when proven wrong, remember they are the minority, but unfortunately do exist in all communities, not just ours.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net