Fw: Newbie with a bad experience at pattern

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Sat Dec 18 20:39:06 AKST 2004

Buddy,
We're friends, right?  Let's take this offline.  I really don't see the point of public floggings.  If you recall, I did not know Mike was a newbie when he ordered the kit.  After delivery I found this out and personally did assist him by answering his questions that day and then calling you to ask you if you'd mind being a local contact for a newbie, since he is 12 miles from you and 6 hours from me.  Of course, my and Gray's email and phone are always available and I specifically provide my number in the instructions and encourage people to call.  Mike never ever called me or emailed me with any questions.  How can we help a person that doesn't ask for help?
     Once at Waco you mentioned that Mike's filler wouldn't stick to the fuse.  You've been to our shop and watched me layup your Eagle One fuse with our epoxy system, so you know this comment didn't make sense without further information.  I didn't then and still don't know details of the problem.  There have been no further mentions of this since April.  Gray made Mike's fuse so I never really ever saw it, however, you saw Gray and I at many contests this year.  If you were Mike's spokesman, why didn't you bring the fuse to show us, or bring a message from Mike, or to discuss the topic some more?  Plenty of others have called or emailed and I spend many hours doing my best to provide extended advice and help.
     I called for Mike at Hot Springs.  He helped me with my plane.  If he had an issue, you'd think he would have said SOMETHING about it.  As it is, Mike has yet to ask for anything at all.  Making general statements about newbie support on a list like this isn't helping anyone.  Please call me (you have my number in your cell phone) and let's take this offline.  Mike, you are free to call too.

--Lance