Growing Pattern

Prmoore at aol.com Prmoore at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 15:34:23 AKST 2004

My 2 cents.

To grow pattern there has to be competitive low cost entry level  planes.
You can argue all you want about it's all about the flyer  not the plane, but it
won't rectify the reality or perception that a 2 M  plane designed for
pattern flies better than a 40 size that  isn't.

Some of the lower cost ARF's coming to market such as the  Swallow 90,
Excelleron, Arresti III will be a help.

I also suspect that a set of free plans to an entry level plane  (90 or 120
sized) designed to be easy to build that could be  downloaded would be a big
plus as well.  Something along the  lines of the Kaos's or Boxer series from
years back, but brought up to  today's aerodynamics, style and designed for fewer
parts and simple  scratch build techniques.

The open source community has shown that the "build it and they will  come"
method works and gains steam as time goes on.  A set of CAD  drawings available
from the NSRCA web site might do the same.

In my club there is a retired flyer that flies the sportsman pattern  with a
profile fun fly very, very well.  He flies it routinely, would  be very
competitive, but he won't enter and compete with that  plane.

Phil