Worlds Judges....(and heated debates)

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Mon Dec 13 19:56:48 AKST 2004

And I'd like to make another one, if I may. (And I may =).

Why on earth would this sort of thing drive you away? It's called passion.
Yes, we're flying toy planes, but these planes cost a LOT of money and take
a LOT of work, time and effort. Add the cost and time of travel to
compete...well, it becomes a little more than just flying toy planes to
some. We ALL get lost in it from time to time.

In my opinion, if you want to attract and keep more pattern flyers, we need
MORE passion, not less. The emphasis has been taken off of the competetive
aspect of this sport to the point of disinterest. Sometimes I wonder why we
even have judges or trophies, from listening to some people.

I wonder why the 3D thing is such a rage? Is it really the flying itself, or
the attitude that surrounds it? Have you noticed how many young people get
so heavy into 3D but wouldn't fly pattern if thier life depended on
it...because it's "boring"?

Now I agree things especially on this list get way too personal, I've been
personally on both sides of it. But at least there's life there, it does
have a pulse. It just needs a good kick in the tail to get it going again.
The direction we take from here could be one of the most important
crossroads the NSRCA has yet taken, or at least in a long time. We'll either
change and thrive, or stagnate and become obscure. Passion is a good thing,
if taken in moderation. I don't think a little political posturing is going
to kill anyone. The bad thing about the internet is some people get a lot
more aggressive than they would if standing face to face. Keep that in mind.

And with all of that being said, after weighing the options, I believe I'm
going to have to go with Lamar Blair. He communicates just fine, and has a
very good vision for us as an organization. He just doesn't type all that
well sometimes. And if that's the only criteria that would hold him back, he
can call me and I'll type FOR him.

Just relax and let this run it's course, read what you want. skip what you
don't want. I'm a relatively new pattern guy too, I just have a different
point of view than some.

-Mike