TBLP

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Dec 13 13:57:19 AKST 2004

A statement was made in this discussion group,  about the TBLP system
not being for ranking judges, but for scoring pilots.  I believe this
statement to be in error.
Either that, or I have misunderstood the meaning of the statement.
In actuality, it (Tarasov-Bauer-Long-Penteado) is used to determine
which judges may or may not fall outside a "window" of scoring.  It is
used to identify, in any given contest, those judges who are outside the
"norm."  It is explicitly stated* that "In case you judges are concerned
this process corrupts your rankings, when the scores are normalized in
this manner to remove stylistic differences between judges, THE RELATIVE
STANDING OF EACH PILOT IS NOT AFFECTED."  (sic)(Caps mine)
 It further states that "in world championships where ten (10) judges
are used, it is not uncommon to see three (3) or even four (4) judges
deleted from a pilot's flight scores."  I believe that these statements
indicate that the judges are, in fact, the ones being judged.
It is a fairly rigorous mathematical exercise and points out those
judges who may not be scoring contestants in a manner consistent with
good judging practices.
This book makes very interesting reading.  Underlying it all is that
even with the full size aircraft, and  world class competitors, in a
sport many years old, the participants and executives are still even now
concerned with judging.  And wisely so.

*International Aerobatic Club Official Contest Rules (Red Book) appendix
II, P. 141-147 As modified 1999

Bill Glaze