World Judge selection process

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Dec 13 13:26:02 AKST 2004

Eric, Okie Dokie, I'll try not to be preachy but my beliefs are as  follows:

Q1- if I read you correctly, the thinking is that Masters is an American  Top
Class, and F3A is an International Top Class, and that F3A judging is
somehow more valid or more qualified than Masters judging is. The implication is
that masters maneuvers are not as tough as F3A and hence are somehow easier to
judge correctly.

I believe that, in general, Masters is just as difficult as F3A is. I  fly
both. In fact, I find P05 easier than the new Masters schedule. As far as
judging these, the elements that are judged are not any different. Flying the
Rolling Circle in F05 is the lone exception to my belief, since this one gives
fits to the best in the World, let alone big old me. But I feel judging this
maneuver's elements isn't any different  than any other. That is the mantra  of
the exceptional judge after all-- judging elements and knowing the cost of
the numerous downgrades.

Q2- The method  of choosing Top Judging performance over time should  be the
major criterion for sending someone to a WC. Not to belabor the obvious,  that
IS basically the reason we send a judge to a WC- to judge. Should it  be the
only criterion- perhaps not. But in my opinion, it is the most important
requirement and the one that must carry the largest weight.

BTW I am not the only one who believes that. Quite a few of us believe that
in this country, it's true. Judging from the requests for our Judge Eval
Program we have fielded from other countries, competitors from all over the
World, (including the FAI/F3A Chair), feel the same. They obviously feel stung  by
too many others that are on WC Judge panels, that were placed there by
qualitative means, not quantitative. Hence the terrific interest in our  program.

Q3- Data age is not really that relevant if we are dealing with data from
the latest five years. That is the intent of the system.

Q4- A vote from the membership is terms of what? Whether the program should
be used to choose the judge? Whether the program is valid? Or whether it is
even  understood? This implies that the Judge Ranking Committee somehow tried to
pull  a fast one on the membership. Nobody did anything of the sort. The
information is open to anyone. It is after all NSRCA property.

The amount of statistics we employed isn't great, and in my opinion is
within the grasp of the general membership. There were no advanced ANOVA
techniques employed. Anyone with some knowledge of Excel Spreadsheet software  could
easily follow what was done.

Yet some folks took pot shots at what we came up with anyway, thinking as
you appear to do, that some kind of average scoring stream like a 7 or 8,
produces the highest Rank. That is a false assumption, and if one were to  run real
numbers, one would realize quickly to folly in this thinking. This  kind of
scoring MIGHT help exactly 50% of the final set of data we  used to determine
the final Judge Rank, but really generally hinders the other  50%. With such
scoring habits, the final Judge Rank Score would not be very high  and would
tend to be of little value to the Judge

Having said that, the Board was asked to vote on this program, and it was
approved, earlier this year. I am certain Maureen has the final numbers.

Regards and happy holidays

MattK

In a message dated 12/13/2004 4:06:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,