Starters

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Dec 13 05:52:42 AKST 2004

My Kavan starter slowly degraded over this last season. The battery
capacity crapped out and the flimsy battery case cracked and slowly fell
apart. Overall the starter was pretty good, but I was not so sure I wanted
another such thing  at nearly $85-$100 which is $45 for the stater, $15
for the battery case, $25 for the batteries and $9 for the silicone insert
( the one that comes with the starter is garbage).
I purchased the Power Tork starter from Central and tested it out this
weekend. First, the starter comes complete for $80, including batteries
and silicone insert. The batteries are standard RC car batteries which are
cheap and easy to replace. It uses two 1500 ma packs hooked in series. The
rear has a door that pops open for easy removal of the packs. The starter
has two motors on the gear drive.  The starter is very thin in width and
long in length compared to the Kavan. Egonomically is works, which is
something I was worried about.  It has a momentary on switch which is
protected by two side guards to prevent accidental  "on-age".
The power (torque) is extreme. There is so much torque that you gotta be
ready when you hit the button. There is no spin up, just instant on and it
will twist your wrist if you are not prepared. The only negative is that
the torque twist jams your finger into the switch guard, which after a few
times becomes iriitating. Once I was aware of this it was not so
bad......whos gonna complain about too much torque?

If the starter lasts and is durable (it appears to be so) I would suggest
that you give Santa a call, this appears to be a winner.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering