Excelleron 90

Xwindflyer at aol.com Xwindflyer at aol.com
Sun Dec 12 17:55:05 AKST 2004

In a message dated 12/12/2004 9:34:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
randy10926 at comcast.net writes:

I went with the Perry carb because the OS rear  mounted needle valve was
coming off during flight.  Funny that the  Perry worked loose this afternoon and
caused a dead stick.  Also I had  heard so much about Perry carbs, but had ever
seen one.

I am using the Excelleron to learn the advanced  sequence.  Seems less riskly
to learn on a cheaper plane than the  Focus.  Also during the winter it gets
really muddy at the local  field.  Sometimes so muddy we have to close the
field down for a  while.  So when we get to fly we may be a 'little' rusty.

At least the simulator still works.

Randy

Randy, the Perry is a fine product except the carb's plastic housing  is a
little soft and easily deforms when tighened, causing binding of the  barrel.
You may have discovered this already. What I have done with good results  is to
install the carb with a little silicone RTV rubber, and only snugged down  the
carb mounting screw. It isn't tight per se, just snug enough but still
allows easy full barrel movement. The RTV holds it in place. This install
procedure results in better carb mechanical function.

Also, to keep it functioning (fuel metering) correctly, you may wish to
triple-filter your fuel.  I have 3 filters on my jug and 1 in the  plane. The idle
metering slit gets to malfunctioning easily even with the  tiniest of
contaminant caught in there. If the carb starts to mess up, take it  apart and clean
this critical area. It's easy: take the "c" clip off and pull  the metering
assembly out of the housing.

regds