Adjustable stab weight recommendations

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 07:47:58 AKST 2004

Bob,
Here's my input on the subject. Your weight is just about what I got when
following Bob Knoll's instructions to the letter.  His videos are awesome
but there are some improvements that can save significant weight.  Doing it
his way (but substituting gator adjusters) seems to result in a 2oz penalty.
A few simple mods reduces that penalty to about 1oz as compared to a
non-adjustable.
1. the load on the stab tube is less than you might imagine.  There is no
need to use as much microb and epoxy all along the tube channel.  Use polyU
instead and wet the channel so it really foams.  Concentrat the glue at the
riblets and be sparing everywhere else.  The cap needn't be made from1/4"
balsa.  Use 1/8" balsa with 2 1/4" thickeners per side to make sure the cap
is in contact with the tube in a few locations.
2. alternatively, if you can drill a hole for the tube before joining the
halves, then this is lightest.  Then you only have to cut out riblet slots.
3. After completion, the center section can be cored out leaving only a the
material that holds the tube and pin and TE
4. the adjusters needn't be attached with steel screws.  glue them and use
nylon bolts or put a couple  #59 holes in each wing and push a tight T-pin
thru to hold them in place while the glue dries.
5. Chuck the steel pin and replace with a 1/8" aluminum rod from the hobby
store.

This will give a great result, with nice fillets on the stab, but minimal
penalty.

--Lance