OS 160FX setup

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Dec 2 14:08:35 AKST 2004

I believe topper tank works in similar fashion to how Ancients (Romans)  were
able to make water flow up a hill: hydraulic flow, once established  inside a
closed pipe of size X, will continue under atmosperic pressure, as  long as
the rise isn't beyond some level. A series of such ducts allowed  them to bring
water pretty high up. The trick was in getting flow started.

I believe a similar set of conditions is esatblished in this kind of
plumbing. Vapor pressure in the main tank is actually a little above  atmospheric,
facillitating fluid flow. The topper tank is close enuff to the  tank such that
venturi action does its thing

MattK

For the life of me I can't understand how the hopper tanks work. If the  main
tank drops 6 inches, then you still have to pull fuel from 6 inches, with  or
without the hopper tank. The only way I can think of it working is if  there
is some air in the hopper, then momentary changes in the main tank  height
won't be felt at the carb, but extended up/down lines would be. Still,  it seems
to work, and may be the route I would go. I like simple.

Bob Richards.