Nelson hobby paint

ronlock at comcast.net ronlock at comcast.net
Thu Dec 2 07:51:42 AKST 2004

Thanks for the review Dick.
Any idea what weight gain was?

Later, Ron Lockhart

Just finished a GP SR-9 using Nelson's paint for the first time (a big risk I first thought). Was going to spray it but was intrigued by his other suggested method of applying - a foam brush. So, I put away the compressor and gun decided to try the foam brush technique.

Following his (written) instructions I found the foam brush technique very satisfactory and with minimal brush marks. Each coat can be applied after the preceeding coat has dried about 15 min. (the thinned paint drys quickly). I applied seven coats of my base color and it came out great.

Trim colors (over the base) should be applied within about 4 hours.of the last base coat; applying trim paint after this time requires you very lightly sand the color over which you are painting. Brush marks are minimal; they seem dependent on the paint/water mix but are minimal once you determine this. Nelson's primer is an epoxy type paint which is easy to use, drys well and is easy to sand (simiar to the old K&B). I liked it. Clean up of both paints is easy - water.

I did not encounter any major problem when masking (i.e. paint lifting, etc). If correctly done it should not occur.  Only once did I notice a slight lift on one part I masked and painted (I forgot to lightly sand the under color paint as   mentioned in the instructions ;-))

Bottom line: I liked the paint...and so does my wife (i.e.no smell)! User friendly.
Suggestion: Contact Nelson directly and request a copy of his written instructions before buying any paint.

Hope this helps...

- Dick