Pull-Pull servos

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 06:21:22 AKST 2004

Sure Keith, no I don't buy new equipment every year. The longest period is
probably with Alliance. I started flying the model in 2001and stopped  flying
it after the 2003 season. According to my log, 468 flights in the 2+  year
span. I check things every few months as a rule just to make sure things  are
tight etc. All servos in the fuse (original install) were fine throughout  this
period. They are still in the plane.

Wing servos had developed a slight amount of slop but wasn't bad  enough to
tear down. Being used elsewhere now since the wing is down for  refinish.

Pull-pull on rudder and elevator, steel rod on throttle, 1/8" carbon rods  on
ailerons. Note that the original rudder and stab were discarded in favor of
lighter units. Also note that cable I use is unique: braided Kevlar with
teflon  tape wrapping. I made this material. Very forgiving set-up, and with light
control surfaces, less force transfers to the servo. Servos are a mix 4001,
4131, 8231 and 8411, plus a retract servo (403?). 8411 on rudder.

The servo bay in this model was equipped with a lite ply tray, a one piece
unit that covered the whole bay. Secured to the fuse with probond. I think the
one piece tray helps also. Engine mount is the standard Hyde type that I
make.  Originally saw the procedure on Bob's web site and have made these ever
since.  Very simple and very inexpensive.

MattK

In a message dated 12/1/2004 3:00:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tkeithb at comcast.net writes:

>> I have yet to change gears on a rudder servo or have parts come  loose.
And rudder centering is fine.

Matt, can you please clarify this statement? Is this because you get a  new
plane with new servos each year, or are you saying that you go multiple  years
without every changing servo gears?

What are the most flights you have on any one rudder servo, and what type  of
servo.

Thanks,
Keith Black