Using check valve in YS 140DZ fuel system

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 05:05:19 AKDT 2004

Peter

Using a check valve works, but there is a potential for problems with
thermal expansion when the temperature of the fuel in the tank rises (as
when the aircraft is exposed to sun for a while after fueling). This
pressure increase can be quite significant and can damage the check valve,
flood the engine, etc.

Instead of a check valve, use an aluminum tubing "loop", exterior to the
tank, in the vent line. Simply route it to behind the tank so that the "top"
of the loop is above the fuel when the nose of the aircraft is pointed down.
No gross fuel spillage will occur and yet thermal expansion is relieved.

I've used bladder tanks, check valves, and even pipe pressure successfully
with the DZ, but the "loop vent" is my preference.

Earl