Zn-Line Alliance trimming question

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sun Aug 22 09:04:21 AKDT 2004

Peter,
 Forgive my ignorance - I am returning to pattern flying after a long hiatus
so I'm not familiar with the design (Alliance). Is the rudder hinge line
exactly perpendicular to the thrust line? Most of the "new style" pattern
ships seem to be this way but...  in the old days I remember designs that
had the rudder hinge line canted forward or back. This will of course change
the way the plane pitches in knife edge flight. In addition to this, the
shape of the rudder can cause similar problems. It's odd that your vertical
maneuvers are OK. I don't know about wing incidence but you can usually rule
that out with some other simple trim tests (power OFF vertical dive). If
this shows signs of not being correct, the thing to look for would be "too
much incidence". It sounds like you have already covered this though. The
only other "trick" you might try is trimming both ailerons up a little bit.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable (and up-to-date) can answer your question,
but I'd be interested in the answer as well.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com