Some Diagrams

Ed Deaver divesplat at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 23:21:04 AKDT 2004

Hey Keith, I have thought about this quite a bit.  Here are some conclusions I've had;

1)  Having drawn out 45 degrees and examined it, most judges will downgrade for a true 45 degrees on a center manuever.  Most judges(pilots) want to see about 50-55 degrees to award a high score(IMO)  Without geometric tools and a perfect horizon, it is difficult to see and for all judges to have the same opinion on "what is 45 degrees"

2)  For center manuevers you will receive a higher downgrade for being too "flat" as opposed to too "steep"(again IMO)  Try to error on the steeper side for any center manuever 45's.

3)  On end manuevers, I have seen people pulling 75 degree angles in the defense it is at the end of the box.  To quote a psychiatrist somewhere, "Perception is Reality"  Personnally believe it is fopah to pull a line really steep in the belief the judges will extrapolate a lesser angle, just because it is at the end of the box.  Judges score on what they SEE, not what they calculate.  If the 45 degree angle at the end of the box, appears 45 degrees I think you will get the higher score.  If the angle looks 60degrees that is a solid 1 pt deduction.  However, see 2 above.

4)  Lastly, a pilot/judges opinion of what is round/45 degrees/stalled etc, etc revolves around what they are exposed to and how they are exposed to it also.  So a perfect 45 degree line may be downgraded or the 60 degree line rewarded simply because that is what someone see routinely at their field of practice.

Just some thoughts.  Am curious as to others opinions also.

ed