Wind correction / wings level

Don Szczur dszczur at maranatha.net
Thu Aug 19 19:02:31 AKDT 2004

Ailerons are adjusted continuously.  For the Quique technique, the most dificult transition point is the top of a vertical 8, with half rolls at the crossover, entering inverted., for example, the Don Lowe final known..  The high altitude makes it difficult to see the wings (and difficult to adjust the roll rate to keep the wings constantly level).

Comparing notes, for standard loops, like the 2 loops in Sportsman, my technique is to use the following steps:.  At 7 and 5 O'clock points, I adjust the ailerons to "spiral" the plane into the wind.  At the 10 to 2 O'clock positions, I adjust the rudder to "straighten" the fuselage with respect to the ground.  The net effect?  If there were no wind, the plane would be spiraling along the Z axis (coming in or going out). In the cross-wind however, the plane remains at exactly the same distance out.

On vertical lines, I like to slip the plane.  In other words enter the part loop letting the nose come into the wind during the radius.  For example, pullng up on the left side of the box just let the plane naturally weather vane into the wind during the radius.  Now with the wind blowng from behind, at the completion of the radius, with no other inputs the plane will follow  a track that will find it coming toward the flight line pretty severely (with respect to the ground).  This is very obvious as a characteristic of smaller planes (you see this a lot on pull ups going into the stall turn during sportsman).  Now, what to do? As the plane completes the quarter radius, add in right rudder.  What the airplane is doing (if there was no wind at this exact moment) would be slipping through the vertical line at semi knife edge.  However, when you add in the crosswind component the plane tracks exactly vertical (with respect to the ground) yet will not drift with the wind.  I stress the importance of rudder-to aileron and rudder-to- elevator mix (knife edge) even in Sportsman because it will improve your stall turns- yes, knife edge mix (if your plane needs it) will improve your stall turn scores.

Holding a little rudder in until the stall turn is reached will continue this "slip" all the way to the  apex.  At this point, stop the right rudder and ad left rudder for the stall turn, which makes a clean, very well presented stall turn maneuver.  It took me 22 years to figure this out, first being at awe when watching Dave Brown do this in a Figure M at the 1983 nationals.

See you,
Don